Karnataka, Bengaluru: Karnataka government on Thursday withdrew its night curfew order that was to be enforced in the wake of coronavirus. “Night curfew order, issued earlier, has been withdrawn after reviewing the situation on the suggestion of Technical Advisory Committee,” said Chief Minister’s Office, Karnataka.
Karnataka has withdrawn a night curfew order – issued a day earlier amid concerns over a mutated and rapidly-spreading coronavirus strain – just hours before it was to come into effect and shortly after state police issued SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for the curfew period.
The state govt had imposed the night curfew between 11 pm and 5 am, supposed to start tonight till 2 Jan. ‘Night curfew in the state from tonight withdrawn after cabinet colleagues and senior officials opined it was not needed,’ says Karnataka CM B.S. Yediyurappa.
Today he said the curfew was being withdrawn “after getting feedback from the public”.
“The night curfew had been announced to curtail the spread of the new coronavirus strain after getting advice from experts. After getting feedback from the public, the issue was re-examined, and in consultation with cabinet colleagues and senior officials, the decision has been withdrawn,” a statement from the Chief Minister’s office said.
“The public should undertake self-regulation, use masks, social distance, avoid unnecessary travel, and follow government guidelines on the control of COIVD-19,” the statement added.